After a while I started noticing posts that made me uneasy. One of these posts was based around the concept "Man Crush Monday." For this post the administrater of the group (on a Monday) posted the name and a sexy picture of her celebrity "Man Crush" and urged the others wives/mothers of the group to do the same in the comments. I couldn't help but think, "are you kidding me?" I continued to get notifications all throughout the day as I saw DOZENS of women post immodest pictures of men and write comments about how attractive they are. It was like standing in front of a burning house and watching people intentionally throw fuel on a fire. I think that many people today would classify this as something playful and harmless, but I think it's incredibly dangerous.
From my experience so far, my relationship with my husband has been one of the most difficult things I have ever worked at in my life. I believe that the influences of Satan and the world in general try to convince us of many negative things that, if left unchecked, may ultimately lead to divorce. One of these concepts is the idea that "the grass is greener on the other side." This thought that another woman has a kinder, more supportive, smarter, or more attractive spouse is not only unfair to your own spouse but it is entirely irrelevant. You CHOSE to marry the man you married, and in order to marry him you must of found many things about him that you loved. Comparing him to others is unkind and will only make you more miserable. I express sorrow as I admit that I know the pain of this because of difficult times when I have allowed my mind to wonder if I would be happier elsewhere. Although I have a lot of room for improvement I have come to learn that if I feel my husband is lacking in some area that means that it is MY duty to fix MY thoughts. When we post pictures of attractive men for "Man Crush Monday" we are not only being unfaithful to our husbands but we are asking others to do the same.
A few weeks ago on this group page the same woman posted something like this, "What are your biggest pet peeves about your husband? Mine is..." and then she went on to tell hers. I had an even stronger reaction to this post. Why would we sit and vent, online, to strangers, the things that we don't like about our spouses? Can you imagine how hurt you would be if you stumbled upon a post your husband had published about something he doesn't like about you? You would feel incredibly hurt and betrayed! This time I decided to comment with a simple message about how I think that what was being encouraged wasn't a good idea. I felt I was kind but honest and I sincerely hoped that other women would be able to see where I was coming from and abstain from commenting. I could hardly believe what happened. An hour or so later I went back on and had multiple notifications where women had commented to share what they disliked about their husband and realized that my post was
My whole point is that it takes effort to do what's right, and even though we hope others will support us in making correct choices, that won't always be the case. The world wants us to think that participating in things as simple as "Man Crush Monday" and complaining about our husbands via the internet is harmless fun, but it's much more serious than that! One comparison always leads to another. A few days after this incident I decided to delete myself from the group. I did not retaliate, I did not message her. I gave myself time to make sure that I was doing it for the right reasons. I decided that no amount of positive connection with other women was worth the degredation that I saw taking place.
You married the man you love, so love the man you married. Support him, respect him. He may be hurting and struggling and it may place a heavy burden on you and your marriage, but when you took him you made a promise to love him no matter what you went through. He is worth it.
Trinity,
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing daughter of God, wife, mother, daughter-in-law (YES!), and are mature beyond your years. Thank you for standing up for what's right and for sharing this.
This post popped into my mind this week as I was reading another Instagram post from "scary mommy" bashing on husbands and calling them lazy. Just wanted to let you know that this post has had an impact on me, years later. Even though it's not something I've had the chance to put into practice yet, not complaining (even in jest) about my husband is something I plan to work hard at, and it's always at the front of my mind when I see those posts, thanks to this blog post. Hope you're doing well! You've always been an inspiration to me! -Tiana
ReplyDelete